Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This Asian appetizer gives regular hard-boiled eggs new life. The cooking time includes sitting and cooling time.
- 8 black tea bags or 3 tablespoons loose black tea leaves
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 8 eggs, at room temperature
- Combine the tea bags, water and teriyaki sauce in medium saucepan, add eggs.
- Bring to full boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat; cover tightly and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Remove eggs, reserving the liquid.
- Place eggs under cold running water until cool enough to handle.
- Gently tap each eggshell with back of a metal spoon until eggs are covered with fine cracks (do NOT peel the eggs).
- Return the eggs to the reserved liquid.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Drain off liquid and refrigerate eggs until chilled (about 1 hour).
- Peel carefully before serving.