1/1 Photo of Chinese Lobster Sauce
Found this on About.com: Chinese Food. People are often surprised to discover that this popular dish doesn't contain lobster at all. The name comes from the fact that one of the ingredients is fermented black beans, which the Cantonese use when preparing Cantonese lobster.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 green onions (spring onions, scallions)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil, for stir-frying
- 1Combine the ground pork with the soy sauce, pepper and cornstarch. Marinate the pork for 15 minutes.
- 2Rinse the black beans, letting them sit in the water for a few minutes to soften. Drain. Use a cleaver or knife to finely chop the beans. Peel and mince the garlic clove. Mash the garlic together with the soaked black beans. Wash the green onion and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- 3In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, and chicken broth. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and set aside.
- 4Lightly beat the eggs with the salt.
- 5Heat the wok over medium high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoon oil, swirling to coat the sides. When oil is ready, add 1/2 of the mashed black beans and garlic mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the ground pork. Stir-fry until it changes color. Remove and clean out the wok.
- 6Add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the second half of the bean and garlic mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the sauce. Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick re-stir and add to the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. Add the ground pork back into the pan. Stir in the green onion.
- 7Stir in the beaten eggs. Remove the sauce from the heat, pour over shrimp or lobster and serve.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Lobster Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.4
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 126.1 mg
- Sodium 760.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fermented black beans