Made this Chinese Szechuan soup a few times and it's always consistently good. Very appetising. Recipe best made just before serving.
- 8 dried Chinese mushrooms, drained, stem removed and sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cooked, shelled and deveined
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup Chinese wine
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 lb cooked ham, finely sliced
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, drained, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 spring onions
- 1⁄2 lb bean curd, cubed (optional)
- Combine chicken broth, wine and sauces in large pan until boiling.
- Stir in blended cornstarch and water slowly.
- Add mushrooms, ham, chestnuts and bell pepper to pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sesame oil to pot.
- Lightly beat egg and 1 tbsp of water. Add to soup while stirring constantly.
- Add spring onions, shrimps and beancurds. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Scoop into soup bowls and serve hot.