Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is posted for a request. It's from a favourite cookbook, Asian Soups. I love hot and Sour Soup, and this is a pretty good recipe. Prep time includes soaking times for mushrooms and noodles.
- 8 cups chicken stock (I can buy a good quality canned Capmbell's Asian style one)
- 2 ounces dried vermicelli, broken into pieces about 1 to 2 inches
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 7 ounces finely diced chicken, skinless,boneless,taken from breast or thigh
- 1⁄2 cup canned bamboo shoot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 scallions
- 1 small red chile, finely chopped
- Heat stock in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Place noodles in a bowl, add boiling water to cover and soak until soft-about 3-5 minutes Drain and add to the stock.
- Place mushrooms in a bowl, add boiling water to cover and soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain, slice thinly and add to the stock.
- Add diced chicken, bamboo shoots and ginger and stir to combine.
- Cook until chicken is tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Taste and adjust seasonings by adding a little more vinegar or chili as desired.
- Serve immediately, ladled into bowls.
A lovely soup that does not take a long time to prepare. The only thing I changed was reserving one of green onions/scallions, finely shredded it and sprinkled that over the soup when I served it.