Recipe by Julie B's Hive
This spicy soup is great when served just before a stir-fried dish or lo-mein noodles.
Top Review by noway
Very good, I especially loved the broth! I doubled the tabasco and that was the perfect amount of heat. I subbed extra chicken for the tofu and used button mushrooms. Next time, I would eliminate the dried shiitakes and just use fresh shiitakes. The shiitakes gave the soup a richer and more authentic flavor than button in my opinion. Plus, the soaking method for the mushrooms didn't work that well because the water did not fully cover them, so I had portions that were still pretty rubbery despite stirring them every few minutes. Thanks for sharing!
- 295.73 ml water
- 177.44 ml canned bamboo shoot, drained
- 4 large dried shiitake mushrooms
- 9.85 ml dark sesame oil
- 226.79 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 in thin strips
- 473.18 ml fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 78.07 ml green onion, including tops, sliced
- 591.47 ml chicken stock
- 29.58-44.37 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml honey
- 22.18 ml cornstarch
- 226.79 g firm tofu, cut into 2 in thin strips
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar or 29.58 ml white wine vinegar
- 1.23 ml hot red pepper sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of the water to a boil. Place the bamboo shoots in a small heatproof bowl and pour 1/2 cup of the boiling water over them; let soak for 5 minutes then drain. Add the dried mushrooms to the water to the water remaining in the saucepan and let soak for 15 minutes. Drain the mushrooms through a sieve, reserving the soaking liquid. Slice the mushrooms, discarding the stems.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the chicken and sauté for 4 minutes or until no longer pink on the outside. Add the soaked mushrooms, fresh mushrooms, green onions, stock, soy sauce, honey, and mushroom soaking liquid. Bring the sauce pan mixture to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup water. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering soup and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the tofu, vinegar, and red pepper sauce. Cook until the tofu is heated through.