Recipe by Nancy Van Ess
Edited recipe from other viewers recomendations
Top Review by amity bradley
My boyfriend and i were very pleased with this recipe. he is half chinese so he knows the good stuff. the only thing we changed was the amount of chili paste. we only put one tablespoon instead of 2. the soup is very very spicy with 2 tblsp's. other than that it was great. the flavor is awesome. my boyfriend said that it tasted just like his mom's. that is a great compliment. amity
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 lb lean pork, julienned
- 2 tablespoons garlic and red chile paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced and stems removed
- 1 cup straw mushroom
- 1 (12 ounce) package cake tofu, 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup dried black fungus, soaked for 1 hour
- scallion, finely chopped, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring stock to a simmer.
- Add soy sauce, pork, mushrooms and chile paste. Simmer for 10 minute.
- Add pepper, vinegar, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, fungus and tofu.
- Simmer 5 minute.
- Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and add.
- Bring back to simmer and pour the eggs in a very thin stream over the surface. Let stand for 10 sec. before stirring in the sesame oil.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions.
- NOTE: The pepper, chile paste and vinegar can be varied for taste. I also omit the pork and use less egg.