Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this recipe on another site cannot remember where I got this one from. I have had this recipe for a while and haven't tried it yet. Prep time and cooking times is a guess.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, breas cut into 1-inch chunks
- oil (for deep frying)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger (minced)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 tsp water)
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Step 1.- In a large bowl mix all batter ingredients together until smooth. Cover and allow the batter to sit for at least 30 minutes. Add the chicken to the batter tossing to coat.
- Step 2- Heat a deep fryer to 350 degrees. Fry chicken bit in batches for 2 minutes or until batter becomes firm. Drain on paper towels.
- Step 3- To make sauc. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of oil in your wok. Add garlic and ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add salt, honey, vinegar and water. Mix well. Combine 1 tsp of water with 1 tsp of cornstarch. Add to sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Step 4- Coat chicken and the sauce and garnish with sesame seeds. ( serve with rice).
Gave this a try tonight, and it wasn't bad; but not great either. I think maybe there was some mix up in the amount of garlic and oil written for the sauce. I followed the recipe to the letter, but it was extremely garlic-y and oily! I had to suck up the oil in the sauce with my Turkey Baster, there was that much! I think with a few modifications, this has the potential to be really nice!