Recipe by LawyerMom
This recipe is from my mom who is Han Chinese from Vietnam. It's a delicious marinade for chicken on the grill, fried in a saucepan, or baked in the oven. Bonus: This recipe is gluten-free and casein/dairy-free.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces (about 11 chicken thighs)
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 scallion, chopped (onion works too)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together the marinade and pour over the chicken. Make sure the chicken is well coated.
- Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place in refrigerator for at least an hour. The longer it marinades, the better. Stir the mixture occasionally if desired.
- When you are ready to cook, place chicken pieces on the grill and cook or fry in a shallow layer of oil in a saucepan until juices run clear. Don't overcook or the chicken will be dry.