Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
fast to make the fritters. and then dip into sugar syrup and then dunk into ice water to harden....I have had these on buffett tables...
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 2 medium apples, pared and cut into 8 ths
- 2 firm bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds or 1⁄4 cup black sesame seed
- ice water, for dipping
- Batter; Beat the water, flour, cornstarch and baking powder and salt with a hand beater until smooth.
- Heat oil to 360 degrees about 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Stir the apples into batter.
- One at a time with a slotted spoon letting excess batter drip back into bowl, coat each section of apple.
- Deep fry in the hot oil about 5 pieces at a time, until golden brown.
- Turning as needed.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat now doing the bananas, in the same way.
- Mix the sugar and water in a saucepot and the corn syrup, and without stirring over high heat bring to a temperature of 300 degrees on the candy thermometer.
- If testing a drop into very cold water will seperate into threads that are hard and brittle.
- Mixture will be amber to a golden brown.
- Decrease the heat to very low, and stir in the sesame seeds.
- Well grease with oil a flat baking sheet.
- Stir one piece of fritter into the syrup evenly coating.
- Place on the platter or baking sheet.
- When all done plunge each piece one at a time into ice cold water, this will harden the coating.