Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Make and share this Chinese Garlic Flavor Eggplant recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium aubergine (eggplant)
- 2 cloves finely-chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely-chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (green onions, scallions, gibbons)
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- Peel the aubergine if you hate the skin, or leave it on if you like the texture and think it looks pretty. Cut lengthways into oblong pieces about the size and length of 2 fingers side by side.
- Boil 1 cm (1/2 inch) of water in a wide frying pan, then add the aubergine and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed, until aubergines are softened to your satisfaction, and very little water remains (about 7 minutes for me).
- Remove the aubergine to a bowl, then heat another 1cm water in the pan. Add garlic, ginger and hoisin sauce, then simmer briskly for 10 minutes, stirring and adding more water as needed.
- Add the soy sauce and spring onions to the pan, then add the cooked.
- aubergine, with a little more water if needed. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring to coat the aubergine with the sauce.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
I think the recipe calls for too much water. I would use half the amount called for in the recipe.
An awesome recipe that uses eggplant as the main event.... love it! I didn't cook mine quite as long as listed, just because I don't like my eggplant too soft. I garnished with some extra chopped green onion and sesame seeds just to make it look pretty. If you love eggplant, you must try this. You'll aslo love how lowfat it is, too! Thanx!