Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
it is essential that the rice is both cold and dry, with separate grains, in order to make this recipe proberly
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 scallions, sliced diagonally
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 3 -4 slices lean bacon, rinded and cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1) pour the water into a wok with the salt and bring to boil. add rice to the boiling water. stir well, then cover the wok tightly with the lid, and simmer gently for 12-13 minutes. (dont remove the lid during cooking or the steam will escape and the rice will not be cooked)
- 2) remove the lid , stir the rice and spread out on a large plate or cookie sheet to cool and dry. beat each egg separately with salt and pepper and 2 teaspoons of cold water. heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the wok, pour in the first egg, swirl it around, and cook ,undisturbed ,until set. remove to a board and cook the second egg. cut the omelets into thin slices.
- 3) add the remaining oil to the wok,add the scallions and bell pepper and stirfry for 1-2 minutes. add the bacon and continue to stir frly for a further 1-2 minutes. add the peas and toss together thorougly. stir in the soy sauce.
- 4) add the rice and seasoning and stir fry for about 1 minutes, then add the strips of omelet, and continue to stir for about 2 minutes or until the rice is piping hot. transfer to a warmed serving disch and serve immediately.