Recipe by karen
This was my mother's favorite way to use up leftover white rice. It really doesn't taste like the fried rice you get at a restaurant, but it still a great meal. I typically throw in whatever vegetables I have in my kitchen, and leave out the shrimp or chicken. I also cut this down to accommodate the amount of rice I have. Cooking time does not include making rice, chicken or shrimp since this is usually made out of leftovers.
Top Review by cookiedog
This was really pretty and I liked the flavor. I think my rice got a little crunchy because I tried to get it "browned" before I added the other ingredients. If I make it again, I'll make sure to not over cook it in the second step. Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe Karen.
- 3 cups cooked rice, cold
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup scallion, sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked shrimp (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Make rice in advance and refrigerate.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Stir in the rice until lightly browned, pressing out any lumps.
- Mix in the scallions, salt, pepper and shrimp or chicken. Saute for 1 minute.
- Make a well in the center of the rice and pour the egg into it, stirring until barely set.
- Stir egg into the rice mixture.
- Add the parsley and soy sauce and stir. Cook 1 more minute and serve immediately.
- For Vegetarian omit both the chicken and the shrimp.