Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This dish is great as a side for your favourite Asian meal or even for lunch. It tastes just like our local Chinese restaurant without any bad reactions to MSG.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion
- 4 spring onions
- 250 g ham
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cups cold cooked medium-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 250 g cooked small shrimp, peeled
- Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Peel onion and cut into wedges about 1.5cm wide. Cut spring onions into shorts lengths on the diagonal. Cut the ham into very thin strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the eggs, pulling the set egg towards the centre and tilting the pan to let the unset egg run to the edges. When almost set, break up into large pieces, to resemble scrambled eggs. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok, swirling to coat the base and side. Add the onion and stir-fry over high heat until it starts to turn transparent. Add the ham, stir-fry for 1 minute. Add rice and peas, stir-fry for 3 minutes until rice has heated through. Add eggs, soy, spring onions and prawns.
- Heat through and serve.
For more flavor and a lower sodium dish, you could make the choice to replace the light soy sauce with sesame oil. To make up for the loss of flavor you would raise the soy sauce drops from 3 to 5. I also would up the vegetable amounts or add other vegetables. If you're only concern flavor, incorporate in some oyster sauce like many restaurants do.
I was a little disappointed with this recipe as it was found in my "Essential Asian Cookbook," which I pretty much rely on for all things Asian. This tasted fine, and was easy enough to put together, but even though I refrigerated the rice overnight, the rice still turned out soggyish and not crispyish like take out would be. I'll keep looking for another recipe.
This is realy good, all my family realy like it. But I did add carrots and i used canned peas not the frozen ones and still taste realy good. Thanks for such a great recipe.