Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chinese Mock Chicken Chinese Mock Pork Why not oysters too?
- 12 ounces water packed firm tofu
- 3 dried mushrooms
- 4 sheets fresh seaweed (4 inches by 9 inches)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 3 drops sesame oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sheet bean curd
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 1⁄4 teaspoons glutinous-rice flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup mushroom liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
Flour Glue Mixture
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 teaspoons water
- oil, for deep-frying
- Soak the bean curd sheet to soften. In another bowl soak dried mushrooms in warm water for 25 minutes [or so] Drain the curd. Squeeze the mushrooms. Cut off mushrooms stems and dice. Save the strained soaking liquid to use then steam the mushroom pieces and bean curd for 8 minutes.
- Take each sheet of seaweed and cut into shreds. Combine in a bowl with the steamed mushroom pieces.
- Using a fork mix and mash steamed bean curd in a bowl and add the salt, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, pepper and MSG [if using].
- Now wipe bean curd sheet with damp cloth then trim the edges and cut into 10 pieces.
- Mix the batter ingredients until smooth and lump free. The mushroom water is the soaking liquid.
- Mix together the flour and water mixture until a glue type paste. If you can glue a picture in a book with it? You got it.
- Lay bean curds so they form diamonds then place about a teaspoon of the mashed bean curd in the middle.
- Add a bit of the seaweed mixture then topping with another teaspoon of bean curd. You want bean curd, seaweed, bean curd.
- Fold the bottom over the filling so that it forms a triangle.
- Fold over the top.
- Brush generously with the glue mixture.
- Fold over the left and right sides, brushing with more of the glue and pressing down on the edges to seal.
- To hot wok add oil.
- Coat about 4 or 5 of the wrapped bean curds in the batter and add to the wok, carefully sliding them in so the oil doesn't splatter.
- It hurts if it splatters. If needed use a splatter shield. Done right you shouldn't but stranger things have happened.
- Turn as needed until you deep-fry until golden brown (about 5 minutes]. Drain.
- Serve with Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or seasoned salt. Or other dipping sauce.
- Time is a guess for the frying. Move at your own speed and the woks speed. You want results not to beat a clock.