Recipe by ellie_
Easy to make fried chicken is adapted from The Cooking of China. Prep time include 2 hour marinating time.
Top Review by Hey Jude
Yes, this is easy to make...I did make a couple of changes - I used rice wine in place of the sherry wine and used vegetable oil instead of peanut. Also, I used 2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of the chicken pieces. This was delicious....came out ultra crispy on the outside and tender and juicy inside. My husband and daughter loved it...thanks ellie for another keeper!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken, cut in 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 scallion, including the green top cut into 2 inch pieces and split in half
- 1⁄2 inch gingerroot, crushed
- 3 cups peanut oil (for frying) or 3 cups use other oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the 8 chicken pieces (2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 breast halves) into 2-inch pieces cutting across the bones.
- Rinse chicken, drain and pat with paper towels.
- In a large bowl combine next 6 ingredients (soy sauce- ginger), stirring until salt& sugar dissolve.
- Add chicken to bowl, tossing so all the pieces are coated with mixture.
- Marinate for 1-2 hours at room temperature or overnight in refrigerator.
- Drain marinade and discard.
- Wipe chicken pices dry with paper towels.
- Pour the oil into wok or deep-fryer and heat over med high heat until oil forms a haze or it registers 375-degrees F on deep frying thermoter.
- Put flour in plastic or paper baggies.
- Add chicken and shake well to coat chicken evenly.
- Drop chicken pieces in hot oil, turning frequently for 5 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- Do not crowd pan, as chicken pieces finish cooking drain on paper towels until all the chicken is done.
- Drain well on paper towels.