Recipe by KelBel
A little sweet, a little spicy, and very tasty.
Top Review by TheDancingCook
I cut the recipe in half to serve 3. I used boneless country style pork ribs, which came out so very tender. I cooked them on low for about 5 1/2 hours then on high for about 2 hours. I used garlic powder instead of garlic salt, but used regular beef broth. The meat was not overly spicy, which was ok, because DH doesn't do the spicy thing and I was feeding a 5 y/o, who cleaned his plate of the meal. I served this with oriental fried rice and steamed broccoli. There is lots of delicious juicy broth and this would be great served over white rice too.
- 1 large onion
- 4 lbs short rib of beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onion and put it into a slow cooker.
- Season the short ribs with garlic salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown all sides of the short ribs. When browned, place in slow cooker on top of sliced onions.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the top of short ribs. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.