Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A little sweet, a little spicy, and very tasty.
- 1 large onion
- 4 lbs short rib of beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- Slice the onion and put it into a slow cooker.
- Season the short ribs with garlic salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown all sides of the short ribs. When browned, place in slow cooker on top of sliced onions.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the top of short ribs. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
I cut the recipe in half to serve 3. I used boneless country style pork ribs, which came out so very tender. I cooked them on low for about 5 1/2 hours then on high for about 2 hours. I used garlic powder instead of garlic salt, but used regular beef broth. The meat was not overly spicy, which was ok, because DH doesn't do the spicy thing and I was feeding a 5 y/o, who cleaned his plate of the meal. I served this with oriental fried rice and steamed broccoli. There is lots of delicious juicy broth and this would be great served over white rice too.
Holy moly this was divine! During dinner, I said, "this tastes like warmth!" The flavors really did make me feel warmer. We let if cook all day and the meat was just falling apart. We ate it with spoons over brown rice. We are definitely adding this to our rotation. Keep in mind that 5 spice powder is not for everyone. Even I am not always fond of it if it's too intense. But in this dish, it was perfect. We also threw in a couple carrots so that our vegetable course was taken care of, too, hehe.
I used boneless short ribs which were wonderfully tender in about 6 hours on low. The recipe was reduced to serve 4 and the onions were sauteed in the skillet along with a large clove of garlic before adding to the crockpot. The onion soup mix was my Onion Seasoning Mix Onion Seasoning Mix. I did reduce the amount of Five Spice powder by 1/3. These were wonderful served along with Health Nut Brown Rice.