1/3 Photos of Chinese Dim Sum Pot Stickers
1 hr 20 mins
A recipe from my worn out copy of Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet Cooks 3 Ancient Cuisines. With this recipe, which I adapted from a soup to pot stickers, you have the choice of steaming or pan frying the dumplings. Dim sum (also known more commonly as gyoza) wrappers are shaped like wonton wrappers except they are round not square. The wrappers can be found at any Asian market and many grocery chains. We always serve the dim sum with both a sweet dipping sauce, (usually a purchased plum sauce) and a salty dipping sauce. You can also use freshly made dim sum wrappers, but as I am not to that confidence level in Asian cooking I will leave that to the culinary experts. In the meantime I will take itty-bitty baby steps when it comes to cooking Asian food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 60 gyoza skins (dim sum wrappers)
- 1 lb ground chicken (read *NOTE) or 1 lb ground lean pork (read *NOTE)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine or 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 -3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon regular sesame oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1*NOTE: the original recipe specified ground lean pork. Either type of meat will work. However, we prefer equal parts of both ground chicken and ground pork.
- 2DIPPING SAUCE: In a small non-reactive bowl combine the dipping sauce and set aside to marinate. Best prepared several hours in advance.
- 3MEAT FILLING: In a large bowl combine the filling ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 4To make a simple paste for sealing the wrappers, in another small bowl combine a few tablespoons of water and roughly 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Stir to blend. Place about 3/4 tablespoon of the meat mixture on one dim sum wrapper. Using your fingers or a pastry brush, add a little bit of the water/cornstarch mixture to the edge of the wrapper. Fold over the wet edges so they meet and they should look like mini-turnovers. Be sure edges are sealed firmly so that the dim sum do not fall apart during cooking.
- 5(If you own a dim sum wrapper maker use that. If you don't own one, considering investing in a dim sum wrapper. They are inexpensive and come in very handy! A small turnover maker will also work.).
- 6Place the filled dim sum singly on parchment or waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Fill all the dim sum wrappers.
- 7FRYING THE DIM SUM: In large saute pan, on medium-high heat the peanut oil, approximately 1 tablespoon. Add the dim sum in batches, DO NOT crowd, and fry until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- 8Once golden, add 1/4 cup of broth or water, cover pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and dim sum are tender but not gummy . Serve immediately.
- 9STEAMING THE DIM SUM: Place a large bamboo steamer inside a large stock pot. Fill with water so that the water does not exceed the bottom of the first level or tier of the steamer basket. Lightly oil the inside of the bamboo steamer basket so that the gyoza do not stick. Arrange the dim sum singly in the bamboo steamer, cover and bring water to boil. FYI- Don't put the cover on the stock pot, only the bamboo steamer.
- 10Reduce heat to low-medium and cook for about 20 minutes or until dim sum are tender but not gummy. Make sure the water does not evaporate, checking periodically and adding more if necessary. Serve hot.
- 11Serve the dim sum with your favorite dipping sauces.
- 12Yield is estimated.
- 13The meat mixture can be prepared in advance and frozen until ready to use. Any leftover meat mixture can also be placed in the freezer for later use.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Dim Sum Pot Stickers
Serving Size: 1 (827 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 14.8
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 108.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: