Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
The most decadent dessert on earth. Purchase Madeira cake from your supermarket.
- 1 madeira cake
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- canola oil (for deep frying)
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 50 g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make caramel sauce:.
- Combine cream, sugar, butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan.
- Cook stirring for 5 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- To make ice-cream:.
- Cut cake into 8 1cm slices.
- Lay 1 slice cake in your hand.
- Top with scoop of ice cream.
- Place second piece of cake over top of ice cream and using your hands mould cake to form a ball around ice cream.
- Transfer to a tray and place in freezer immediately. Repeat with all ice cream and cake.
- Allow balls to stand in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Beat eggs in shallow bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs onto a plate.
- Working with one ball at a a time, roll in egg then coat with breadcrumbs and refreeze.
- Freeze for at least 2 more hours or overnight.
- Remove balls from freezer, stand 5 minutes.
- Pour oil into saucepan. Heat and it is ready when a piece of bread dropped in turns brown within 15 seconds.
- Lower 2 ice cream balls in at a time into the oil.
- Cook for 1 minute until golden and drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately drizzled with caramel sauce.