This came from a Chinese friend who was teaching Chinese cooking classes at the time. If you like curry then more curry powder can be used. I prefer it milder as is.
- 1 lb steak (use lean frying or grilling steak, I use rump in NZ)
- 3 potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 chicken stock cubes or 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons oil, extra
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, extra
- 1 tablespoon satay sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup water (plus)
- 1⁄3 cup water (or more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- Slice steak thinly across the grain.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Peel onions, cut into quarters and separate each layer.
- Heat oil in pan or wok, add potatoes, cook 5mins or until just tender but still crisp, tossing occasionally.
- Add onions and curry powder, cook further 2 minutes, remove from pan.
- Heat extra oil in pan, add steak, cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Add potatoes, onion and extra curry powder; toss for 2 minutes.
- Add combined sate sauce, chilie sauce, soy sauce, water, stock cube, cornflour and sherry.
- Toss until sauce boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Serve with boiled rice.