Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Twelve Months of Monastery Soups
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, To Taste
- 2 medium cucumbers, Peeled, Seeded
- 8 teaspoons sesame oil
- 8 mushrooms, Washed, Thinly
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or 1 tablespoon white wine
- 4 scallions, Chopped
- 1 pn ginger powder
- Place the broth in a soup pot and bring it to a boil. Add the cucumbers, mushrooms, scallions, salt , and pepper.
- Cover the soup pot and cook gently over low-medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a blender. Add the extra seasonings-sesame oil, vinegar and ginger- and blend well.
- Refrigerate the soup for a few hours and serve cold. Or reheat the soup and serve it hot as the Chinese do.
Yummy soup, though a little too much sesame oil. I made this twice, the 2nd time adding 2 cloves chopped garlic, cutting the sesame oil in half, and using low-sodium organic chicken broth, and this turned out delicious. I've been looking for a warm, non-creamy cucumber soup recipe for a long time, and this is wonderful. Super easy to make too.