Recipe by Sue Lau
This is a vegetarian version of spring rolls. You can replace the mushrooms with minced meat if you like a regular version. If you like shrimp, just add them in place of the carrots. This recipe is posted by request, and comes from Linda Doeser.
Top Review by 4QTpies
Delicious! I prepared these spring rolls exactly as written and they were perfect. This was my first time making them homemade and it was pretty easy. I served them with a Thai dipping sauce (Recipe #33113) and veg. fried rice and it was a great dinner! Thanks!
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallion
- 2 carrots
- 2⁄3 cup bamboo shoot, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 20 egg roll wraps (approximate)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch paste
- flour (for dusting)
- oil (for deep frying)
- soy sauce (for dipping, or other dipping sauces, as desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred vegetables to the same size and shape as bean sprouts.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok and stir-fry vegetables for 1 minute.
- Add salt, sugar, light soy sauce, and rice wine.
- Stir-fry 2 minutes more; drain and cool.
- To make a spring roll, cut the wrapper in half diagonally.
- Place 1 tbsp of veggie mixture one-third of the way down the wrapper, then turn the wrapper so the small tip of the diagonal is pointing away from you.
- Fold the wide edge of the wrapper over the filling and roll over one time.
- Fold in the sides, and roll the wrapper away from you one time more.
- Brush the upper edge of the wrapper with cornstarch paste (to make cornstarch paste, simply mix 4 parts cornstarch to 5 parts cold water, and stir till dissolved).
- Finish rolling the spring roll, keeping it a bit tight.
- Sprinkle some flour on a baking sheet (to keep spring rolls from sticking), and rest the spring rolls there, flap side down, while you finish making the other rolls.
- To cook, heat the oil in a wok or fryer until hot, then reduce the heat to low.
- Fry the spring rolls in batches, making sure not to crowd, cooking until they are golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove rolls from oil and drain on paper toweling.
- Serve hot with soy sauce, or sweet and sour and hot mustard, if desired.