Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my all time favourite Chinese dishes. Baby squid are best for this recipe as they cook quickly and are tender.
- Slit each squid body open along one side with a sharp knife then score the inside of each in a criss cross pattern.
- Set aside with the tenticles.
- Heat 5 cm of Vegetable oil in the base of a deep frying pan.
- Place the sea salt and the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and crush coarsely together.
- stir into the cornflour, then toss with the squid to coat.
- Cook the chillies and salad onions in the hot oil for 30 seconds then scoop them out with a mesh spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Cook the squid body and tentacles in the pan for 2 minutes until it rolls up and turns crisp and lightly golden.
- Transfer the squid to a plate, scatter over the crispy chilli and salad onions and serve with soy sauce for drizzling and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Not the breading recipe I was looking for; and the squid came out pretty tough :(
Excellent, you can't go wrong (well maybe shasha can) with this recipe...it's a winner. It's a regular for us and always tender..cheers and thanks
This was absolutely delicious. I didn't have chillies, which was unfortunate, but the rest I had and it swas simply stunning. The only difference was that I'd never fry the squid for two minutes. I think it would become quite tough. I fried it for closer to 30 or 40 seconds, and it was melt in the mouth soft. Delicious! Thanks for sharing!