Recipe by FLKeysJen
Posted for the March 2008 Green Eggs and Ham game in the Asian forum. China isn't known for its creamed dishes, but in this Shanghai cabbage recipe from Rhonda Parkinson is lightly coated with a cream sauce and garnished with chopped ham and scallions.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
Excellent! I used almost all of the cabbage and did not use the the chopped ham. Can't because of dietary restrictions. I had some leftover scrambled eggs and I tossed in some diced mushrooms. I also used homemade chicken broth.I also used the scallions as a garnish. A great meal!! Thanks for posting!
- 1 medium napa cabbage (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk (plus)
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth or 1⁄3 cup homemade chicken stock
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped ham
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the tough outer stems from the cabbage and cut off the core. Wash remaining stems and drain. Cut the stems crosswise into 1-inch pieces, discarding the upper leaves.
- In a large saucepan or a wok, bring enough water to cover the cabbage to a boil. Boil the cabbage for 1 minute and drain in a colander. Pat the cabbage dry with paper towels. (If using a wok to boil the cabbage, dry the inside and outside with paper towels).
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch into the evaporated milk.
- Preheat the wok and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the salt and ginger slices. Add the cabbage and cook for a minute, until the cabbage is heated through. Discard the ginger.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Push the cabbage to the sides of the wok, making a "well" in the middle. Give the evaporated milk and cornstarch mixture a quick restir, then add to the chicken stock in the middle of the wok, stirring quickly to thicken.
- When the sauce has thickened, stir to mix everything together. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Garnish the creamed cabbage with the chopped ham and scallions. Serve immediately.