Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In ' Comfort Food Fix' by Ellie Krieger
- 6 ears sweet corn (or 4 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 scallions, finely sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Chinese wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, drained and picked over for shells and cartilage
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- If using ears of corn, use a knife to remove the kernels, collecting any juices that are released; discard the cobs.
- Place 2 cups of the corn kernels and 1 cup of the broth in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over med-high heat.
- Add the scallion whites and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Stir in the ginger and add the remaining 5 cups broth, the remaining corn kernels with any juices, the pureed corn mixture, and the cooking wine; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to med-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and the water until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Slowly add the mixture to the soup and cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly, until the soup boils and thickens.
- Decrease heat to med-low, add the crab, vinegar, and soy sauce; cook until the crab has heated through, about 1 minute.
- Drizzle in the egg, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
- Serve garnished with scallion greens.
- 340 calories per 2 cup serving.
My first Ellie Krieger recipe and it was fantastic! I was worried it wouldn't go over well with my family but they loved it, had seconds and licked their bowls clean. I followed the recipe to the dot and ate the serving size and it was very filling. Will make again!