Recipe by happy2bme_9_8206787
A different take on the typical Chinese Coleslaw. No ramen noodles in this recipe. Just fresh ingredients and a Chinese inspired dressing.
- 1 small carrot, peeled
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 small cucumber, cut in half lengthways
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 2 scallions, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄3 cup mint leaf
- 1⁄3 cup coriander leaves
- 1⁄3 cup dill leaves
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel carrot, then thinly slice lengthways into ribbons. Cut ribbons into thin strips and place in a bowl with half the salt and mix well.
- Place onion slices in a separate bowl with the remaining salt and mix well.
- Set carrot and onion aside for 1 hour.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered without stirring for about 10 minutes or until reduced and slightly syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- Drain the carrot and onion and, using your impeccably clean hands, gently squeeze out any excess liquid. Place the carrot and onion in the cooled syrup to pickle them lightly.
- Using a vegetable peeler, finely slice cucumber lengthways into ribbons and then cut them into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, pickled carrot, pickled onion, and all the remaining salad ingredients, using your impeccably clean hands to mix thoroughly.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon over salad and serve on a platter.