Recipe by Mintbear82
Soft Buns with a yummy coconut filling. Just like the ones your get from Chinese bakeries and when you're out having Dim Sum. Make sure you read the recipe first then get all your ingredients togethor. Also, remeber there is a different between liquid measure and dry measure. This Recipe Comes from Rhonda Parkinson from About.com
- 2 3⁄4 cups coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted margarine (or butter)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup very warm water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 large egg, fork-beaten
- 2 1⁄4 cups white bread flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit
- Coconut Filling:
- Process coconut and sugar in blender or food processor until very fine. Turn into small bowl.
- Stir in margarine and egg yolk until paste-like consistency.
- Stir warm water and first amount of sugar in small dish until sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
- Stir second amount of sugar, salt and cooking oil in large bowl. Add boiling water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in egg and yeast mixture.
- Slowly work in enough flour until soft dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Cover. Let rest for 5 minutes. Shape into 2, 12 inch (30 cm) logs.
- Divide dough into 12 portions. Press and stretch each portion into 5 X 3 inch (12.5 X 7.5 cm) oblong shape. Place rounded 1 1/2 tablespoon (25 ml) filling lengthwise along centre of each piece.
- Bring long sides up and over filling, pinching all edges together to seal. Place, seam-side down, on greased baking sheet. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Egg Wash:
- Beat egg and water together with fork in small cup. Brush over buns. Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit (175 degree Celsius) oven for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Honey Wash:.
- Combine honey and hot water in separate small cup. Brush over warm buns. Serve warm. Makes 12 buns.