Recipe by Kate S.
They say that Coca Cola is now sold in every country in the world but North Korean and Cuba. In China, it's being put to use in ways that appeal to local tastes. To cure a cold, Chinese people enjoy Coke boiled with ginger slices, and garnished with lemon slices. Today, I was served Cola Chicken Wings. I see other Chinese Cola Chicken Wing recipes on the web, but none with the combination of whole spices I encountered today. Simple and tasty. Enjoy!
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 smashed garlic cloves
- 4 smashed slices ginger
- 1 tablespoon whole szechuan peppercorns (or use 4-5 dried red chilies, or black peppercorns)
- 1 cup Coca-Cola (or use 1/2 c water, 1/2 c Coke)
- 1 -2 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 -2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken wings, marinade 15 min in soy sauce, and drain, reserving marinade.
- Heat wok over high heat, add oil to heat, and and toss ginger, garlic, and peppercorns or chilies until fragrant, then add chicken wings and stir-fry until skin is seared.
- Add remaining ingredients and reserved marinade and simmer 15-25 min until sauce is reduced to a caramelized glaze. Add some water if needed.
- Garnish with scallions if desired.