Recipe by Susiecat too
You can find fermented black beans (dow see) at an Asian specialty market. This recipe comes from "Three Great Cuisines" by Jeff Smith, also known as "The Frugal Gourmet."
Top Review by Jo Connolly
Found this to be great, changed a few things as couldn't find Black Beans, so used a Sharwoods Black Bean Stir Fry Sauce, used Red Wine instead of Sherry also added sliced mushrooms, and a variety of peppers sliced. At the end I heated the marinade with the stir fry.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut julienne
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
For the stir fry
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine (or crushed)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed (dow see)
- 4 cups leeks, cleaned and cut into thin disks
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken and soak in the marinade for 15 minutes.
- Heat the wok (or similar cooking pan) and add 1 tablespoon of the oil, along with the garlic and the rinsed black beans.
- Stir fry for a moment and add the drained chicken.
- Stir over high heat until the chicken is cooked, and remove to a serving plate.
- Add the remaining peanut oil to the hot wok, along with the leeks.
- Stir until leeks are tender.
- Return chicken to the pan along with the remaining ingredients.
- Stir fry for a moment, and serve immediately.