Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence Show: Food 911 Episode: Chinese Spare Ribs
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 1 bunch green onion, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 inches fresh ginger, whacked open with the flat side of a knife
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- 3 quarts cold water, approximately
- Put the chicken in a large stockpot and place over medium heat.
- Toss in the green onions, garlic, ginger, onion, and peppercorns.
- Pour about 3 quarts of cold water into the pot to cover the chicken by 1-inch.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour, uncovered, skimming off the foam on the surface periodically.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and pass the stock through a strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove the solids and excess fat.
- Cool the chicken stock to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator, or chill it down over ice first.