Recipe by ~SwoR~
This is a clear light yellow chicken stock. Trying to make this stock fast will loose so much flavor and quality. The long cooking time is well worth the trouble. You can use all bones to make this stock but I find whole chickens to be the best. The chicken will have a different texture when it is done, due to the slow cooking. I dice the chicken for salads or fajitas.
- 2 whole chicken, cut up
- 18 -20 cups water
- 4 slices fresh ginger (quarter sized)
- 10 spring onions
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the chicken in a large stock pot.
- Cover with the water.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a slow simmer never allowing it to come to a full boil.
- This is important to make the stock clear.
- Cut ginger in fine strips and set aside.
- Crush garlic cloves, do not remove skins.
- Remove the green tops from the spring onions.
- Skim the scum from the chicken as often as necessary to keep it clean.
- Don't stir the chicken during this time.
- It allows the stock to remain clear.
- When scum has sufficiently stopped forming (25 to 40 minutes), turn the heat down to low just before it begins to boil.
- Add the white part of the onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and salt.
- Cook on simmer for 2 to 4 hours.
- The slower it cooks the better the stock.
- Skim the fat off several times during cooking time.
- Strain through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer.
- Remove as much fat as possible and use what is needed.
- What is left freezes well for several months if properly stored i.
- air tight container.