Recipe by littleturtle
This stock has a wonderful flavor and can be used as the base for many different soups and sauces. This stock will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- 5 lbs chicken backs (preferably both) or 5 lbs chicken necks (preferably both)
- 1 large onion, peeled & roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, halved
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 head garlic (about 5-8 cloves)
- 8 slices gingerroot
- 1⁄3 cup mixed herbs (cilantro, basil, parsley, etc)
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine
- 20 cups water (1.25 gallons)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot, adding a little more water, if needed, to cover the rest of the ingredients by about an inch.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer very gently (the broth will be cloudy if you let it continue to boil) for 3 hours, occasionally skimming surface to remove any foam or impurities that rise to the top.
- Strain into a container and cool to room temperature before refrigerating (if placed directly into the fridge without cooling, it will sometimes go sour).
- If you want a more intensely flavored stock, return the stock to the pot after it has cooled and simmer over low heat until the volume is reduced by half.