Recipe by STK FD WIFE, A.TITUS
Great NON TOP RAMEN NOODLE Chinese chicken salad. Not your typical Chinese chicken salad because this recipe includes quick and easy home fried rice noodles and a salad dressing made from scratch.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cooked
- 1 head cabbage, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup almonds (slivered or sliced)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 ounces rice sticks (Asian section in grocery store)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, for frying rice noodles and roasting almonds
- 1⁄2 head lettuce, can be added to cabbage for added flavor
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat to desolve in a small sauce pan sugar, salt and vinegar.
- Add to liquid pepper, peanut oil and sesame oil. Mix well and refrigerate until just before serving.
- Slice cabbage and lettuce into 1/4 inch slices, if you decide to use cabbage and lettuce. In this instance you will probable want to use half lettuce and half cabbage - 1 head total. Place in a large bowl.
- Add to bowl bite size chicken chunks and sliced onions.
- Heat 1 tsps oil to small skillet and roast almonds. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Heat 2 - 3 tbsp oil in same skillet until hot. Break rice noodles into 1 - 1 1/2 pieces and slowly add in extra small batches (perhaps 5 or 6 at a time) to hot oil. The noodles will only take a couple of seconds before they expand in size and puff out. Watch these very closely.
- Once the noodles are fried remove immedately with slotted spoon remove immediately and drain on paper towel. Noodles will start to brown if they as they cook. You want the noodles to remain white, if at all possible.
- Once the noodles are all cooked, whisk the refrigerated dressing until mixture is thoroughly mixed. Since everyone has different tastes add half the salad dressing to the salad. Add additional dressing as you deem fit. (My daughters like double dressing so I will often mix up double the salad dressing.).
- Toss salad with dressing.
- Top salad with fried noodles and sesame seeds.
- Serve salad immediately.