Every good cook needs a recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad at her fingertips. I thought I'd share mine with you. The dressing is divine. This never fails to please! I usually roast a chicken in the oven for this -- but if I'm running short on time, I'll pick up a roasted chicken at the grocery store or Costco. I normally double the dressing part of the recipe -- just so I don't come up short.
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (skin removed)
- 1 large green cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 6 -8 green onions, thinly sliced (including some of the green tops)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, rinsed, stemmed and chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 (3 ounce) package Top Ramen noodles (save flavoring packet for another use)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 -5 tablespoons sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 large garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- To assemble salad (do this as close to serving as is possible).
- Combine shredded cabbage, green onions, cilantro, water chestnuts & almonds. If making ahead, omit the almonds until final assembly.
- Add chicken to cabbage mixture along either broken/crushed Top Ramen noodles. Mix well.
- To make dressing:.
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly (I use a screw top jar to make the dressing in).
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- This is a great main dish served with some fresh fruit and croissants.
- Cooking time reflects the time to roast a chicken.
I can't believe I haven't rated this! I have used this recipe no less than 6 times and love it! Definitely double the dressing amount. I use 4 T of sugar, right in the middle. I have found I like the salad better with the dressing put on ahead of time to soften up the ramen noodles a bit. And I don't use as much canola oil as called for. Other than that, this recipe is outstanding.
This is FABULOUS! It gets a nice crunch from the almonds and water chestnuts. I used the full amount of sugar in the dressing and it is to die for.This would be great to bring to a picnic or potluck- just make sure to dress right before serving. I'll be making this again and again!