Battle in Seattle's Note:
I think I got this one from Barefoot Contessa. Makes a great picnic lunch, or just to brown-bag it to work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breast halves, bone-in & skin-on
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb fresh asparagus, ends removed, and cut in thirds diagonally
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 2 scallions, sliced diagonally (white & green parts)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F, and put a pot of salted water on high heat to cook asparagus.
- 2NOTE: In place of the chicken breasts, I skip this step all together and just pick the meat from a whole rotisserie chicken. (Costco has the absolute best ones anywhere for only $5!) Saves time and tastes great. But, if you prefer all white meat, continue on.
- 3Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkly liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. (When cooled, remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces).
- 4While chicken is roasting, blanch the asparagus in the pot of water for three to five minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.
- 5Cut the pepper in strips about the size of the asparagus pieces. Combine the cut chicken, asparagus, and peppers in a large bowl.
- 6Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Add the scallions and sesame seeds and season to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.2
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 2001.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 23.4 g