Delicia T's Note:
I came up with this recipe trying to replicate lettuce wraps offered at Joey Tomato's. So far, I've determined, there are a number of elements that make the perfect lettuce wrap. A balance between savory taste and crunch - which is given by the combination of soy, hoisin and chiles accented by the addition of crispy noodle. I am sure this recipe will continue to evolve as I experiment with other flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 130 g egg noodles, Chinese style (or chow mein noodles)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 red pepper, finely chopped
- 250 g sliced water chestnuts, slivered
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, slivered, matchstick (or crimini)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce, use more if desired
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce, adjust to taste
- 2 scallions, slivered
- 1 teaspoon coriander or 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1/4 cup peanuts, kettle cooked is best (crushed or whole)
- 1Unwrap lettuce into "cups" and wash thoroughly.
- 2Heat vegetable oil in a wok, on medium high heat, and after a minute, add noodles. You will want to separate them with your fingers as you add so that the noodles are not clumpy. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the level of crispiness desired.
- 3Prepare (chop) your chicken and vegetables as you wait.
- 4Once the noodles are done, remove and set aside.
- 5If desired, pour 1 tsp of oil in the same wok before you saute the garlic. Do this for about 30 seconds. Garlic can burn quickly so do not leave it too long.
- 6Add chicken, stir fry until no longer pink.
- 7Add onion, peppers, chestnuts, and mushrooms. Fry for about a minute.
- 8While waiting for the vegetables to saute, combine soy sauce and sugar. Mix with a spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
- 9Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- 10Add the hoisin sauce and chili paste.
- 11Add the scallions, coriander and peanuts.
- 12Serve over the noodles that were set aside. To assemble, spoon chicken and noodle mixture into lettuce cup. Wrap and enjoy :).
- 13If desired, shrimp can be substituted for chicken. Note on hoisin sauce: because hoisin is a prominent flavour in this recipe, different types of sauces may alter the taste. Try to find a simple hoisin sauce by looking at the ingredients. I tend to stay away from additional vinegars or spices, but ultimately the choice is up to you.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.8
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 74.3 mg
- Sodium 958.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: