Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I came up with this recipe trying to replicate lettuce wraps offered at Joey Tomato's. So far, I've determined, there are a number of elements that make the perfect lettuce wrap. A balance between savory taste and crunch - which is given by the combination of soy, hoisin and chiles accented by the addition of crispy noodle. I am sure this recipe will continue to evolve as I experiment with other flavors.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 130 g egg noodles, Chinese style (or chow mein noodles)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 red pepper, finely chopped
- 250 g sliced water chestnuts, slivered
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, slivered, matchstick (or crimini)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce, use more if desired
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce, adjust to taste
- 2 scallions, slivered
- 1 teaspoon coriander or 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, kettle cooked is best (crushed or whole)
- Unwrap lettuce into "cups" and wash thoroughly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok, on medium high heat, and after a minute, add noodles. You will want to separate them with your fingers as you add so that the noodles are not clumpy. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the level of crispiness desired.
- Prepare (chop) your chicken and vegetables as you wait.
- Once the noodles are done, remove and set aside.
- If desired, pour 1 tsp of oil in the same wok before you saute the garlic. Do this for about 30 seconds. Garlic can burn quickly so do not leave it too long.
- Add chicken, stir fry until no longer pink.
- Add onion, peppers, chestnuts, and mushrooms. Fry for about a minute.
- While waiting for the vegetables to saute, combine soy sauce and sugar. Mix with a spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the hoisin sauce and chili paste.
- Add the scallions, coriander and peanuts.
- Serve over the noodles that were set aside. To assemble, spoon chicken and noodle mixture into lettuce cup. Wrap and enjoy :).
- If desired, shrimp can be substituted for chicken. Note on hoisin sauce: because hoisin is a prominent flavour in this recipe, different types of sauces may alter the taste. Try to find a simple hoisin sauce by looking at the ingredients. I tend to stay away from additional vinegars or spices, but ultimately the choice is up to you.
Wonderful! I cut the recipe down for DH and I and used ground chicken but other than that I followed the directions. Oh so yummy! Next time I might use butter lettuce because it is easier to separate and roll but there definately will be a next time. Made for Spring Pick a Chef 2011.
I used to work at Joey's and this was one of my favourite dishes! I rarely find "copycat" recipes that are close to the original but this one is IDENTICAL! I only used half of the chili sauce and it was still really spicy so i would only use 1/4 Tbsp next time.
this recipe was FANTASTIC! they honestly turned out better than Joeys! I made them for my boyfriend and he absolutly loved them... I cant say enough about these wraps. This is one recipe I will make over and over again. Just the perfect amount of crunch and spice...a must try!