Chinese Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 14.79 ml hoisin sauce
- 9.85-14.78 ml oyster sauce
- 9.85 ml chinese rice wine, shao xing or 9.85 ml sake or 9.85 ml sherry wine
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml sugar (heaping) or 4.92 ml agave nectar
- 2.46 ml sesame oil
- 1.23 ml ground szechuan peppercorns or 1.23 ml black peppercorns
Wraps and Garnish
- 1 head bibb lettuce, separated washed and dried
- 2 small carrots, shredded and cut into matchsticks
- 2 inch cucumbers, seeded, shredded and cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions
- 1 ball bean noodles, separated and fried (optional)
- sriracha asian garlic sauce (optional) or hot chili oil (optional)
- 4.92 ml canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml minced ginger
- 453.59 g ground pork, chicken, turkey (or a combination) or 453.59 g hand minced chicken thigh
- 2 scallions, minced
- 226.79 g can water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 59.14 ml minced sweet red pepper
- Combine together Seasoning Sauce ingredients and warm to marry the flaors. Taste and adjust for a hotter or sweeter sauce; set aside.
- To Prepare Wraps and Garnishes: Separate and wash lettuce and arrange on a serving tray. Shred carrots and arrange on tray. Split and seed cucumber, slice into thin slivers and arrange on tray. Sliver green onions on an extreme bias and arrange on tray. Fry bean noodles (optional) heat a small saucepan at least 1 inch deep with canola oil. Separate noodles and fry in small batches to quickly puff, about 5 seconds. Drain on paper towels and reserve in a separate bowl.
- To Prepare the Filling: Preheat a large wok or frying pan over high flame. take care to have all ingredients ready and waiting next to the pot.
- Add oil and carefully add garlic and ginger and sizzle. Add ground meats and chop/stir fry to separate. When color changes, add scallions, water chestnuts and bell pepper; stir-fry to marry ingredients. Add seasoning sauce (a little at a time to taste) and continue to cook over high heat to caramelize and finish, just a few minutes depending on temperature.
- Transfer meat to a serving bowl and serve in lettuce cups with garnishes and remaining sauce on the side. Sriracha sauce or hot chile oil can also be served for the spice lovers.