Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Eat your garlic - and keep your friends. The soy, ginger, and sesame oil will mask any hint of "garlic breath." This is eaten chilled, so make ahead and take to work for lunch.
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped green onions
Pasta and Chicken
- 1 lb linguine or 1 lb thin spaghetti
- 1⁄4 lb snow peas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained or 1 large celery rib, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- Dressing: Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. in a food processor, process ginger, garlic, and green onions until chopped fine. Whisk into soy mixture.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Heat snow peas and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 inch water in medium saucepan over high heat until snow peas are bright green, 20 seconds. Remove from heat. Drain and rinse under cold water. Julienne.
- Add snow peas and pasta to dressing with remaining ingredients; toss to coat. (Can be made ahead. cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.).
WAAAAAY too much ginger. Maybe this should be 1/2 a finger of fresh ginger instead of half a cup. It is a very spicy, strong root. This sounds way over the reasonable limit. I make a 12 cup chai tea that only calls for a 1 inch slice, peeled and chopped.
After all that preparation I thought this was going to be so good, sounds good... problem was that the flavor was strong and was basically garlic and ginger noodles. A pund of noodles- I should've known better- I didn't have a bowl big enough to toss all the ingredients- so that made a mess. It's now the day after and I can still taste it!!! I ate a bowl full- there is so much left it could feed 6 people. Thanks for the experience, though, I will not being trying this one out again.