Halcyon Eve's Note:
From a Sunset Magazine special edition, "Sunset Weeknight." I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds tasty. Suggested accompaniments include purchased (fresh or frozen) potstickers or egg rolls and cabbage slaw with Asian dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 -6 ounce) skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh ginger
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) container shelf-stable firm silken tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion (including tops)
- white pepper
- 1Rinse chicken and pat dry. Slice crosswise into 1/8-inch thick strips. Combine with rice wine, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, and 1 tbsp cornstarch in a small bowl.
- 2In a 3-4 quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir garlic and ginger in 1/2 tsp sesame oil for 10 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink on surface, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add broth; cover pan and bring to a boil. Add tofu and corn to broth and return to a simmer.
- 4In a small bowl, combine remaining 2 tbsp cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Add to soup; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Pour egg into soup, stirring gently for about 30 seconds to form thin strands of egg. Add remaining 1/2 tsp sesame oil, green onions, and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.7
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 64.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth