Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an attempt to re-create the cashew chicken at my local chinese restaurant.
- 3 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 8 ounces cashews
- Cut chicken into 1/8 inch strips. Place in a bowl and add pepper, wine, and 1 T. soy sauce. Let chicken marinate 30 minutes.
- Add cornstarch, sesame oil, and hoison sauce to water. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in pan. Add ginger, garlic, and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until chicken is done, about 10 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cashews to pan. Simmer about 15 minutes until sauce thickens.