Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
Although I do NOT condone the consumption of ramen noodles, when I saw this recipe on Paula Deen's show, I simply had to try it!! I thought this dish was a lot of fun, and had great flavor. Best 8 cents I ever spent!! I use mushroom flavored ramen because there's no "meat" or meat products in the seasoning packets
- 1 head cabbage or 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 3 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, with seasoning packet
- 6 ounces slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, shredded (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Shred cabbage if not using coleslaw mix, and place in salad bowl with green onions.
- Crumble noodles onto broiler pan, add almonds and sesame seeds and broil for about 2 minutes.
- Careful not to let sesame seeds burn.
- In a glass jar with a lid, combine oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, and contents of seasoning packet.
- Pour dressing over salad, and toss well.
- Add toasted noodles, almonds, sesame seeds and fresh basil (if using) RIGHT before serving.
DELICIOUS! sweet, tangy and crisp. A very satisfying salad.
Great! Was craving this salad and was glad to find the recipe posted. Instead of the seasoning packet I used 2 t of powdered MSG-free beef base, and Paula Deen's House Seasoning Mix to taste. Easy, makes a lot, and everyone loves it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Really good, a classic salad for bbqs and even my little cousins liked it! I make this whenever I don't know what to do with extra cabbage.