Recipe by hannahactually
I always order this dish when we go to Chinese restaurants, so I was so excited to find this recipe in the Jan. 2005 issue of Cooking Light! This is the recipe, with a few of my variations. If you're craving tons of spice, this isn't for you; however, its subtle, healthy flavor is something I quite enjoy. Cook time includes marinating time. (NUTRITION PER SERVING CALORIES 378(28% from fat); FAT 11.6g (sat 1.6g,mono 4.7g,poly 4.7g); PROTEIN 15.8g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 129mg; SODIUM 698mg; FIBER 9.3g; IRON 4.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 55.9g)
Top Review by TXOLDHAM
So good! I added red pepper flakes to the marinade and only marinated the tofu. I also added some haricot verts when I blanched the carrots and broccoli. I didn't use the baby corn as my DH doesn't like it. I also used sugar snap peas rather than snow peas just because we like them better. I think the next time I make this I will try extra firm Tofu although we didn't have a problem with the firm. This is going in my "Tried & True" file. Definite repeater.
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) packagewater-packed extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots (1/4-inch diagonally sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup peeled chopped broccoli stem
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 1 (14 ounce) canwhole baby corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 5 ingredients, tossing to coat.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving marinade.
- Cook broccoli florets, carrot, and broccoli stems in boiling water 1 1/2 minutes.
- Drain these vegetables.
- Plunge into ice water.
- Heat canola oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tofu.
- Stir-fry 5 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides.
- Stir in onions, ginger, and garlic.
- Stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Stir in broccoli mixture, snow peas, corn, and water chestnuts.
- Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Combine broth and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk.
- Add cornstarch mixture, reserved marinade, and salt to pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook 2 1/2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Serve over brown rice.