Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 mins
This recipe is quick and economical!
Make and share this Chinese Breakfast Eggs and Ham Fried Rice recipe from Food.com.
- Get all of your ingredients ready: a bottle of vegetable oil; 4 cups cooked rice that you have separated into individual grains with wet fingers (rinsing your hands frequently to remove the starch); 3 eggs that you have beaten in a cereal bowl; 1-2 cups diced cooked ham; 2 green onions that you have thinly sliced; in a ramekin or other small bowl put 1/4 -1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt-stir to combine; and get out a bottle of sesame seed oil.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes (for an electric stove, less time for a gas stove).
- Add 2 Table. vegetable oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add the eggs, and again, swirl the pan so that the eggs are covering the whole surface.
- When the eggs have started to set up, use a spatula to stir and flip over the eggs until they are firm and cooked. Add the ham, and the spices from the ramekin and stir for about 15 seconds.
- Add 2 Tablespoons more oil to the pan and then the rice. Use the spatula to frequently stir and flip over the rice. Cook for about 4 minutes to toast the rice a bit.
- Add the green onion, stir to blend and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Check for salt. Drizzle 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil over the rice and remove from heat. Lightly toss for the sesame oil to blend a bit.
- Variations: If you have leftover hash brown potatoes, you can also stir them in the last couple of minutes. If making for lunch or dinner, I often add 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 teaspoon minced ginger or 1/2 teaspoons of each) and some petite frozen peas (You don't have to thaw the peas, as the heat from the rice will thaw them.) During late spring, sauted asparagus is delicious in place of the peas. Other meats that are good in this recipe, instead of ham, are crisp bacon pieces and diced Canadian bacon. You usually don't find black pepper in fried rice, but it makes the rice taste extra good.