Recipe by Sharon123
Placing this here for safekeeping! I have had a wonderful Szechuan Eggplant at a Chinese restaurant in town that I just love, but unfortunately, they stopped making it! They told me they used black bean sauce when making it, but alas, I could not find any locally. So I will be trying this to recreate the dish. I have changed it slightly. A few tablespoons of this sauce paired with meats, seafood, fresh vegetables, or rice, pasta, etc. will create a delicious meal in minutes!
Top Review by 932ninja
Thanks Sharon 123 as always you have great recipes! I had to adjust a few things based on what I had on hand, but this was great with some tofu and a bunch of bok choy and broccoli! Thanks
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon black beans, salted (whole)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (dissolved in 1 tbls. water)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the sherry, vinegar, lime juice. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook over medium high heat for 1 minute. Stir in the fish sauce, sugar, chili sauce, black beans, and vegetable broth.
- Bring the sauce to a boil: reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk in the dissolved cornstarch, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- This can be made ahead and refirgerated for up to 1 week. Enjoy!