Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Looks like a long recipe but, with a little preparation, this comes together so quick and is really comforting. Also a little beef goes a long way....... We hardly eat red meat anymore but this recipe would be the exception - lovely over boiled rice.
- 340.19 g beef or 340.19 g sirloin or 340.19 g rump steak
- 14.79 ml dark soy sauce
- 9.85 ml water
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 9.85 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml oyster sauce
- 29.58 ml ketchup
- Cut the beef across the grain into thin slices approximately 1 1/2 inches long. Place the beef in a bowl, add the marinade ingredients and mix in with chopsticks, adding the cornstarch last. If you like, you can also add a bit of baking soda to tenderize the beef but it isn't vital. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- While the beef is marinating, prepare the vegetables. Slice the tomatoes into six equal pieces. Chop the onions into uniform sized pieces.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat wok and add oil. When oil is ready, add the beef. Stir-fry until it changes color, and is evenly cooked. Remove from the wok and set aside. Clean out the wok and add more oil. Saute the onions, and add the tomatoes. Add the sauce. Return the beef to the wok and mix together, bringing to the boil. You may want to add a little water at this step. Once thickened and boiling remove from heat and serve immediately. You can either add some green onion as a garnish. Serve hot over rice.
My family loved it! Taste just like my favorite Chinese restaurant.