Recipe by mailbelle
When I lived in Germany, one of my favorite restaurants there (a Chinese restaurant) served a Beef With Onions dish. This recipe is the closest thing I've had to it. The first time I made this, I found that thinly slicing 4 onions produces a BIG pile of onions! But they cook down a lot.
- 1 lb sirloin steak, julienned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 -4 cups oil, for deep-frying
- 3 -4 onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beef, salt, egg white and cornstarch; mix well with hand.
- Heat oil; deep-fry beef until it is seared. Drain.
- Reheat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add onion and stir-fry until soft and well browned, about 20 minutes.
- Add beef, sherry, sugar and soy sauce. Stir-fry 1 minute, until beef is glazed and brown.
- Serve over rice.