Recipe by Pneuma
Beef with Broccoli is a famous stir fry Chinese dish. Almost all restaurants serve this. I got this recipe from my Mom. Everyone in our family just loves her cooking and it tastes just like the one we buy from the Chinese restaurants. This is actually very quick to make after the marinating time.
- 1⁄2 kg beef sirloin tip, sliced thinly into strips (like sukiyaki-thin)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 green onions, cut into small pieces about 1/2 inch
- 1 head broccoli, cut diagonally across the stem into small florettes
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup water, approx. just for it not to be dry and to have a little sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound sliced meat strips with the back of the knife until tender. Set aside.
- Combine cornstarch and rice wine.
- Add meat to cornstarch and rice wine mixture and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine Kikkoman soy sauce and sugar. Set aside.
- In the meantime, cut the broccoli into small florets, cutting the small stems diagonally; discard the big stalk.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium flame.
- Stir fry marinated beef; keep stirring until it changes color, but only until it's half done (half color).
- Add onions and the kikkoman with sugar mixture.
- Add the broccoli and oyster sauce; keep stirring for 5 minutes or until cooked; while adding also a pinch of baking soda to the broccoli.
- Add 1/4 cup water and stir fry for another minute.
- Serve warm.