Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
From "The Best Slowcooker Cookbook Ever" by Natalie Haughton
- 4 cups packed shredded napa cabbage
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin 1 . 5-inch long strips
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, rinsed and drained
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 lb beef top round steak, cut across the grain into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon chinese chili paste with garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) packageyoung frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- In a 3 and 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, mix togther the cabbage, green pepper, mushrooms, scallions, water chestnuts and beef.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 T each of the sherry and soy sauce, the water, hoisin sauce, chili paste with garlic, and garlic powder.
- Pour over the beef and vegetables in the pot.
- Sprinkle with the garlic pepper.
- Cover and cook on the low heat setting 5 and 1/2 to 6 hours.
- In small bowl or cup, mix together the cornstarch and remaining 2 T sherry and 1 T soy sauce.
- Increase the heat setting to high.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Place the cover slightly ajar and cook on high 1/2 hour, stirring once or twice until the sauce clears and thickens slightly.
- Stir in the green beans and red pepper and cook 5-10 minutes longer.
- Author's note: Use a 4 quart slow cooker and stir in 1-2 cups bean sprouts along with the cabbage if desired.
bland and uninteresting even after doubling the chili paste and adding cruched red pepper flakes and more soy sauce after the fact. don't waste your time on this one.