Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love Chinese food. I made this barbecue to put on beef skewers but have also used it on chicken tenders when I grill them on skewers as well. My whole family loves both.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh minced (IMO powdered ginger is not a great substitute)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder (optional)
- Mix all ingredients and heat over low to medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Adjust to desired sweetness or tartness with vinegar or one of the sweeteners like corn syrup, sugar or honey-- to taste.
- Most ingredients are optional.
- I highly recommend NOT leaving out the Hoisin Sauce, ginger, sugar and ketchup.
- But do personalize this to your own taste.