Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sea scallops
- 3⁄4-1 lb thinly sliced bacon
- 20 -22 six-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water for one hour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 cup plum sauce or 1⁄2 cup Chinese duck sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- LIGHTLY RINSE THE SCALLOPS and drain thoroughly. Slice any very thick ones in half horizontally.
- Heat a broiler or prepare a medium hot fire for grilling.
- Combine the Plum Sauce ingredients and blend well. Cut the strips of bacon in half. Place the scallops in a bowl, ad half the sauce, and toss lightly to coat. Wrap a piece of bacon around each scallop and thread onto the bamboo skewers. If broiling the scallops, cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and arrange the skewered scallops on top. Place the scallops about 3 inches from the heat source and broil or grill, basting with the remaining sauce, for about 8 to 9 minutes on each side, or until the bacon is cooked. Serve hot.
The sauce was really good, but the bacon and everything masked the flavor of the scallops. I'll try bbq next time and serve the sauce on the side.
This made a delicious lunch that I cooked on a BBQ plate. The sauce was well matched to the scallops and bacon.